Lymphoedema management & oncology care
If you are living with Lymphoedema or are undergoing/recovering from Cancer, there is no need to struggle with symptoms on your own or suffer in silence.
The right treatment and management will:
- Alleviate symptoms,
- Improve functional movement, and
- Give you a better quality of life.
Our Lymphoedema and Oncology Care Services
- Lymphatic Drainage
- Lymphatic Garments
- Lymphoedema Skin Management
- Oncology Care (including PINC & STEEL)
Our caring & experienced Lymphoedema & Oncology Team
Our Women’s Health Physiotherapist, Tara McKenzie has completed extensive post-graduate studies in the highly specialised Physiotherapy fields of Lymphoedema and Oncology care and is a member of the Australasian Lymphology Association. Since her qualification in 2016, Tara has helped numerous women on the Central Coast lead a better quality of life.
She is one of only a small number of Physiotherapists qualified and experienced to perform this type of work in Australia, including PINC removed Cancer Rehabilitation, and is often referred patients by doctors and word of mouth from current or past patients due to the rate of success she achieves and her excellent manner with patients.
Also on our Lymphoedema and Oncology Care team are:
- Libbie Woods, an Oncology Nurse who is a Level 2 qualified Lymphoedema Practitioner and a member of the Australasian Lymphology Association.
- Alison Edge, a Remedial Massage Therapist who is also a level 2 qualified Lymphoedema Practitioner and a member of the Australasian Lymphology Association. (Casley-Smith method).
Tara, Libbie and Alison are not only excellent clinical therapists; they also deliver their tailored services to you with great care, compassion, and sensitivity.
What is Lymphoedema?
Lymphoedema is chronic swelling, usually affecting a limb, caused by damaged or abnormal lymphatic vessels. It is a common complication following breast cancer surgery and treatment.
There is no known cure for Lymphoedema, however with proper treatment and ongoing monitoring and management, it can be kept under control.
How can we help?
Our Lymphoedema treatment is designed to:
- Prevent progression of the condition through a personalised plan designed to get you moving in the right way,
- Reduce oedema (excess fluid), and
- Maintain the improvement, including the alleviation of associated symptoms, prevention of infection and improvement of function and quality of life.
- Educate women following breast cancer management to reduce the risk of Lymphoedema,
- Deliver supervised exercise programs to help with rehabilitation, and
- Tailor a full Lymphoedema management plan to suit your specific needs. Depending on your needs, your personalised plan may include:
- Manual Lymphatic Drainage
- Compression Therapy
- Provide skin care and skin management therapy.
Research has shown that there are many powerful benefits of Physiotherapy and Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) for people with Cancer and Lymphoedema, including the reduction of pain, anxiety, nausea, fluid retention and fatigue.
If you are undergoing Cancer treatment or have been diagnosed with Lymphoedema, don’t suffer in silence. Contact us for an appointment today.